Retina and Vitreous
Retina is a light sensitive layer of the retina where image formation takes place
and is carried over to the brain. Disease of the retina are varied and require
appropriate and timely screening and treatment.
1. Diabetic retinopathy –Diabetes affects the retina in the form of diabetic
retinopathy.Every diabetic patient needs to be screened at regular
intervals for diabetic retinopathy.
2. Hypertensive retinopathy-Hypertension affects the retina causing
hypertensive retinopathy.Advanced stages of the disease may lead to
3. Retinopathy of prematurity-All preterm infants should be screened for
retinopathy of prematurity.This entity may affect preterm infants as the
retina may be ill developed because of prematurity or because of oxygen
exposure.Routine screening and timely intervention may prevent
4. Venous occlusions
5. Anaemic retinopathy-Severe anaemia or decreased haemoglobin may
lead to haemorrhages in the retina.
6. Retinal detachment-It can occur in high myopes because of weakness in
retina (lattice degeneration),Traumatic detachment or tractional
detachment.Treatment is surgical.